.

.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Hinoki & The Bird… Sooo dark and soooo sexy!!!

Hinoki & The Bird
10 Century Drive, Los Angeles, CA  90067
310-552-1200
http://hinokiandthebird.com/

Hinoki & the Bird is Truly Extraordinary
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-weston/hinoki-and-the-bird_b_2821080.html

Table Talk
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/table-talk-hinoki-the-bird-in-los-angeles/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1

I feel like arriving to Hinoki & The Bird is like discovering a little secret treasure… You drive up to a dark and small valet driveway with a hidden entry door to this incredible restaurant inside.  When entering you literally have a birds-eye view of the beautiful bar and indoor dining room.  Everything is very dark and very sexy!!!  The outdoor dining room was incredibly large with that indoor outdoor feel.  I fell in love with this place immediately!  It reminded me of a swanky restaurant you would go to in New York.  The ambiance the music, everything was just perfect!!!
So tonight I went with a girlfriend who doesn't eat any meat (boo-hoo) so I decided I would stick to the pescatarian diet as well so that we could share… Cause what's the fun in only trying a couple things on the menu when you could share everything that was ordered?
Sounds like I'm going to have to call one of my carnivorous friends and go back really really soon!
I need to start taking pics of my cocktails which I keep forgetting about… Tonight I had the Hinoki Swizzle (Amontillado Sherry, St Germaine, fresh green apple & Champagne), this one was my absolute favorite!!  Always love St Germaine and Champagne!  I also tried the Gordon's Cup (Gin, muddled lime, cucumber, Szechuan pepper and salt), this was good… But after the first drink it couldn't compare for me.


This is the view that you have as soon as you walk into the front door… Beyond beautiful!
Like always I had to get the oysters, again I was in the mood for trying something new so I opted for my go-to and also a recommendation from our server.  Again I was happy that I ventured out… Might have to stop being scared and just start trying them all!
1/2 dozen oysters, with pear mignonette
I'm always a huge fan of raw fish so this was a no brainer and I knew I  would enjoy it.
Snapper, grapefruit and lime leaf
WOW, I wish I had more room in my stomach for more of this!  Sooo yummy!!!
Chili crab toast, spicy cucumber, coriander

The presentation of this dish was really cool!  It's literally still smoking as it get's to your table!  And it's super yummy!  I went with a friend who is pescatarian so you won't see any meat this time around… Guess I'm going to have to go back REALLY soon and check out the carnivorous side of the menu.
Hinoki scented black cod, sweet potato, pistachio
This dish was incredible!!  I was told by a good friend of mine to get this and boy was she spot on!  It was spicy and the dipping sauce brought the flavors to a whole other level!
Sambal skate wing
YUM YUM YUM!  I wasn't sure about getting a yam as our veggie, but it was really really good!  It wasn't too sweet which I was a little worried about and it was a really good balance with the fish.
Roasted yam, creme fraiche, lardon
So this was really good…Just really hmmm simple I guess.  I kinda wish I would have listened to Steph and tried something a little more adventurous.  
Miso donuts, honey caramel
I literally can't wait to go back here… Even if it's just for one of thier fabulous drinks and an appetizer at the bar!
I really love LA and all the amazing restaurants it has to offer!  I feel like I have an endless list of new places I want to try, and no matter how many I end up marking off, the amount just never gets smaller.
If any of you have any restaurant recommendations please let me know down on the comments below!  I love good recommendations and would love to check out anything that you guys also love!



XO Drea

2 comments: